Wednesday, December 19, 2007

what it means to be a nomadic gardener,

Nomadic. no·mad (nō'mād') Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. A member of a group of people who have no fixed home and move according to the seasons from place to place in search of food, water, and grazing land.
  2. A person with no fixed residence who roams about; a wanderer.

Gardener. gar·den·er (gärd'nər, gär'dn-ər) Pronunciation Key
n. One who works in or tends a garden for pleasure or hire.

At first the two concepts don't sound compatible. How can one garden, if one is a wanderer? It just requires a paradigm shift.

A little background, I grew up on an organic vegetable farm, Selling at fruit stands and farmers markets and that kind of upbringing proved very beneficial to me, indeed formed many facets of my personality and individuality. In the core of my being, no matter where I am living, working and no matter what else I do, I consider myself a gardener.

Fast forward to today, and you find me, Steve, living a semi nomadic lifestyle, living in a schoolbus, cultivating work possiblilities and friendships outside of my hometown and yet still craving that connection with the earth, and more specifically one particular place to call my own.

I am constantly recreating and re inventing myself, where I am and where I am going and what I am doing whilst on this earth. I do my best to push boundries where I can, and to do so without losing myself is indeed a great challenge. Finding a balance between these two facets of my life is a goal I work towards everyday.

Peace

No comments: